In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Toast

Mmmm... toast.

We take toast for granted.

I like toast. I have to limit my consumption though, since my Snugglebunny insists on making all of our bread. So if we ate toast for breakfast everyday a batch of bread wouldn't last the week. But today is a day  off, so I'm enjoying thick slices of homemade toast with some delightfully runny homemade strawberry jam given to us by Mrs. Boss along with my ever present mug of very strong tea.

Toast is such a plain thing and terribly common these days. Toast is easy. Toast and beans after being out at the bar. Toast and peanut butter or CheeseWhiz (TM) for an after school snack. But if you think about it, before sliced bread and electric toasters, making toast was a major undertaking. Each slice having to be put on a grill before the fire or over the stove.

Toast. A small butter and jam covered miracle.

Contemplating toast also gives me an excuse to post this clip from the highly amusing and quite silly cartoon Invader Zim:

5 comments:

  1. Toast with just with proper butter is my fav, nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegemite Toast rules all toasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take your word for it. But after getting stuck with 2 cases of Marmite and only getting rid of them by marking them down to .99 cents each I'm not going to try Vegemite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marmite is horrid. The trick with vegemite is to spread it lightly over the toast. I've seen people spread it on like peanut butter, yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we trust advice on Vegemite from a self-confessed apostate who states didactically that "Marmite is horrid"?

    Marmite and lettuce sandwiches are unexpectedly good IMHO, as are sausage + marmalade, and cottage cheese + honey.

    All of the above taste better with beer, of course :-)

    Kind regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete