If I'm going to have Quar running around WW1 battlefields then I really need shell blasted trees, and lots more craters, to be honest.
While rummaging about in the basement looking for something else, I found some old, abandoned attempts at making 15mm field positions out of old gift cards and CDs as bases, with plasticene to build up the banks. I thought, "Why not combine this with my use of Gorilla Glue and sand?"
Striking while the creative madness was upon me I set to, trying to ignore the Quar squawking about getting painted.
Sticks from the garden were broken roughly at one end and cut straight at the other. Flat end was hot glued to the base. I also used hot glue to build up some crater shapes before adding Gorilla Glue over top. I let the hot glue set up and then brushed water over everything. I then applied beads of Gorilla Glue, leaving the center of the craters free, and spread it around with a Q-Tip.
|Before the sand
|Notice foaming blob of Gorilla Glue at base of closest tree trunk. Covered with some more sand after taking picture. It happens. You just add a bit more sand to cover.
|Excess sand shaken off. Awkwardly located pieces of gravel removed.
|Base coat of Burnt Umber applied.
|After dry brushing with tan and grey-green
While I was at it, I also found these two hasty defensive works made with twigs and sand glued to old iTunes cards. They just needed a bit of paint and flock to make them usable for Quar HSG teams