In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Snipers

My first post from the painting bench for 2013 is rather small; a pair of 15mm sniper teams to support my WW2 Canadian infantry company. These are from the Peter Pig pack which gives you 4 teams; two moving and two shooting. Each team with a spotter and a sniper.

Although not on the official Table of Organization, in WW2 each infantry battalion headquarters formed a Scout and Sniper Platoon, commanded by the Intelligence Officer. Although these units did most of their work before the battle, patrolling, intelligence gathering, harassing the enemy and providing guides to bring the rifle companies to their start lines, some sniper teams to support my squaddies when on the defence would be quite appropriate.

snipers 001
 
I Ain't Been Shot, Mum! provides for snipers in a fairly abstract way. They are annoying and distracting without being too dominating. The figures aren't even necessary to mark their general position, but I like the look of them. I had previously used a pair of prone riflemen in helmets, but I like these fellows in their denison smocks and hessian headwraps, looking very professional and stealthy. The shooter using a sandbag as a rest is a nice touch.

I used 1 1/4 inch fender washers for the bases to set them apart from my rifle stands. This is also my first use of tufts on the bases. I found them as simple to use as the directions say they are, and they give a nice dimension to an otherwise pretty flat base. Plus they help the snipers hide and add to the air of stealth around the vignette.

snipers 003
showing layout on bases
snipers 002
German view

1 comment: