In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, September 18, 2017

Painting the Expanse

Of course with a rush of enthusiasm I have pushed aside some commission work and started bashing on with my Firefly in the Expanse project.

My friend at work who has been saving me the CNC tool boxes was asking me what I was doing with them, so that spurred me last weekend to start some cutting and gluing.



The big double wide is a store/brothel/admin center/community center (maybe all 4, I'm not going to judge). The small building is a workshop surrounded by piles of junk and barrels of printer matrix or chemicals.

While the epoxy was setting I decided to start painting figures too and try out some techniques. I black spray primed the buildings on Monday after work, promptly dropping them causing some damage that needed repair! During the week was painting more figures, painting the buildings and I started the ship's launch too.

Since the buildings are converted shipping containers I printed off some corporate logos and made stencils, deliberately positioning them underneath/behind the added windows and roof thingies. Assorted old warning labels are on the ends at the big doors. I also painted anything retrofitted to the shipping container in a a light grey so it will stand out as something not original to the structure.

Blue Sun corporation


Weyland Corp

Checking around the workshop


Launch

back of workshop
The bases of the buildings haven't been painted yet. But I want the glue to have 24 hours to dry.

The RAFM figures come with nice round bases, so adding additional washers or MDF bases isn't really necessary.

I should add some more signage methinks. Perhaps in a mix of English, Hindi and Chinese or Russian. But I'll have to hand paint that as my printer is not of high enough resolution to do crisp lettering that small.

3 comments:

  1. You MUST buy a copy of Gruntz it's a 15mm skirmish game. Look it up on you tube and get a feel for it. The rules can recreate any creature, troop type etc and are perfect for creating your own universe. Can't recommend them enough. If you are trying to create a sci-fi 15mm world of your own design check these rules out. Robin fitton is the author. I bought them a year of so ago and started collecting pieces of plastic bottles to make building, but due to time and other things didn't get time to do anything. Look them up and you will love them.

    ReplyDelete