In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Couple of Games Catch Up

A quick catch up and summary of a few games featuring friend's collections. Click on pictures to embiggen.

A few weeks ago, Patrick was finally ready to unveil his Gangs of Rome (In 1/72nd scale) project, which he's been working on for two years.

Being a far bigger Roman and ancient history buff than I, he totally geeked out building the terrain  and his attention to details are incredible. Much use was made of Google image search and colour printing for the mosaics and frescoes on floors and walls.

Gymnasium and public baths

Mosaic detail on bottom of pools

Bakery 

Shop fronts

Shop interiors

Slave dealer

The forum

Market stalls


And what's Ancient Rome without an orgy?

My gang of 3 figures was to attack the bakery owned by my patron's political rival. I don't think 1 fellow getting through to stuff his tunic full of bread rolls and then run away was much of a victory to be honest.

The big round bases of figures are 'crowds'. You can move into a crowd, disappear and redeploy from another crowd. But if you do any violent act near a crowd they will react randomly. They might stand and watch, move away, join in, or attack you. I took more damage from the crowds then from my opponent!

But quite the elaborate set up with a cast of 100s of extras for 6-12 figures to play in. Patrick bought a lot of Strelets figures!

Last night, Scott brought a few of his simply massive Napoleonic collection over to play a learning game of General d'Armee. 

Table full!

Austrian artillery battery 

French cavalry 

Austrian Cheveux-leger advance 

Austrian cavalry break through 

French artillery roll horribly and get ridden down! 






Scott is a very good player with a sound eye for the tactical situation. Last night I think he was hit by the new figure curse. Hesitant brigades, artillery low on ammo, bad ADC rolls, rolling 3 when firing on my cavalry charge.... really quite appalling. So I can't claim victory due to any tactical brilliance. But we did get to work through a couple of charges. I'm not sure why rules need to make charges so complicated. 

Scott's big 24 figure battalions take some getting used too. They take up a lot of real estate  and I was having trouble managing traffic jams and fields of fire. I never did fire my artillery! 

3 comments:

  1. Patrick's GoR table is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w Millsy. Patrick's passion for certain periods inspires me - this Roman table is amazing and reminds me of your Afghan fixation - I love how you both put your heads down and just do it.
    I have GdeA and hope to try it with my 6mms, which haven't seen a lot of use lately. From your brief description, I suspect that they will play a lot like the Pickett's charge rules that I've just tried and mostly liked.
    Scott's figures - wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so from what I've read of Pickett's Charge. Assigning ADCs is critical.

      Delete