In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Vendel Goblins


"Watza din boz?" Grablotz the goblin asked, climbing onto my painting bench, leaving a trail of dirt and things I hoped were just dirt behind him.

"Yeah" chimed in Snakz, "watza din?" Snakz grabbed the rim of my brush holder with dirty, ragged clawed fingers, tilting it to look in. "Got anayfing for etz?"

"Oh yeah" said Grablotz, licking pointed teeth. "Oi cud murda a noice bit o rancid bacon!"

"Wif fresh maggots!"

"What can I do for you boys?" I asked patiently, brushing mud from their boots into the garbage. Setting the brush holder firmly back in its place I added "No bacon today.  You helped me eat it all this weekend with the Padre, remember?"

"Oh yeah.... dat geezer wot wif a' da fancy words 'n such. You member 'im Snakz?"

Snakz picked his nose thoughtfully. "Yeah... he brought dem Isengard boyz. Tough buggers dem."

"But we done arrit, dinnit we, boz?" asked Grablotz sheepishly. 

"Oh yes!" I replied heartily. "Much better than I expected for brand new troops with their paint barely dry." I was rewarded by a pair of snaggle toothed grins.

"Grablotz, your mob caught a lot of arrows and stuck it out longer than I expected." Grablotz danced about, slapping Snakz on the back, and tossed his dirty red cap in the air. 

"What about my mob, boz?" asked Snakz, straightening his red hood so he could see again. "We stuck a few arrers of our own into dat mob, dinnit we?"

"Yes you did" I smiled,  full of benevolence. "And for that you get both lovely banners and grass tufts on your bases!"

The two goblins began capering about, waving their caps and knocking over paint bottles. 

"Alright,  alright" I chided. "Now get on the back drop so I can take pictures of everybody for my blog."

"Gunna put us on Tweeters too boz? " asked Grablotz as he hurried to form up his mob. "Datz where all da kool kidz are!"

"Yes, yes. Now everybody fall in and say 'maggots!'"






Better view of the banners, inspired by Iron Mitten's work on his Middle Earth armies .

Some extras to lead wagons or baggage animals.  Although I may just get 8 more each of spears and bows, then field 2x 12 figure units of each. Until then I've got 6x extra Oathmark goblins who can join them to make another 12x figure unit. 


Comparison shot. L-R: Vendel goblin, Oathmark goblin, Vendel small orc and Vendel large orc.

Comparison shot. L-R: Vendel goblin,  Oathmark goblin, Vendel small orc

6 comments:

  1. Great goblins or should that be horrible instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! They really look great James & your banter with the "boyz" made me laugh out loud :-D. All the best, John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have painted them well and they scale effectively with the modern plastic equivalent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice as usual! Nice to see them compared to the Oathmark goblins. I’m glad you found my designs useful.

    ReplyDelete