In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Discordant What a Tanker

I got invited to join in an trial remote game with friends in Chatham and Windsor (2 and 3 hours respectively distant from me). What a Tanker was selected as being fairly straight forward as a game for the experiment.

The host used a four camera security set up; two giving over views from each end of the table, one of a white board with our status and a fourth roving camera for point of view shots. We had to view these with the iSmKit media viewer app.

Status board. Big numbers are the action dice you have.

Overview from my end

Our host Frank moving around to move people.

That's me as viewed from Keith's PzIV
I tried to get a screen shot of the 4 in 1 view of all 4 cameras, but it didn't take for some reason. We were having frequent issues with different cameras going down and then coming back. Sometimes it was a different camera for different people.

For interaction and communication we all had to log into the Discord app.


Discord wanted to keep freezing on me and we lost one player for a bit. The black square beside me was Keith who had microphone but no camera.

We were all using one device to view the table (for me my low end ELite Samsung tablet) and a second for communication (my low end Samsung phone propped on top of Mrs. Rabbitman's InstaPot so that people weren't staring up my nose). 




End of game. Everything moved down to one corner.

Went ok despite technical issues. I'm pretty sure I was having some compatibility issues as well with my Android device trying to run an Apple app. Things weren't seemless. I kept getting lag, but with each of us on multiple devices and getting video from 4 cameras we were probably hogging all the bandwidths. 

So successful trial. Brian is looking at how to do something similar with his 6mm stuff.

I'd play again for sure. 


3 comments:

  1. 6mm might work better because you can use tighter camera shots. I managed to make it work, but I only had a single camera to work with (broadcasting over Discord) with audio via phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting take.
      Smaller minis = smaller table = camera can get in closer

      Delete
    2. I should have posted a link to my AAR: https://littleleadwarriors.blogspot.com/2020/04/gaming-in-age-of-covid-what-tanker.html

      Delete