In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Thursday, January 21, 2021

A Hobbit Returns From War


 A Hobbit, A Wardrobe, and a Great War by Joseph Loconte 2015.

I was delighted to receive this book for Christmas. My other hobby is, I suppose, studying the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien. So this discussion of the moral dimensions of Middle Earth was welcome. Theologically I'm a self-confessed Tolkienist, and Middle Earth is my emotional comfort blanket. 

This book looks at how the two friends,  C.S. Lewis and Tolkien wrote their great works as a response to their experiences in the Great War. Instead of turning to cynicism,  atheism and rejecting the old values like other writers of their time, Lewis embraced Anglican Christianity and Tolkien set about reasserting outmoded concepts of Goodness and heroism. But the Goodness and Heroism is still human and  flawed and doomed to failure.

Of course this is why Tolkien's writings are in my mind superior to all the fantasy writers who have come before or after with their Nietschean übermensch and moral relativism depicting mighty thewed heroes winning through strength of Will. Any other writer would have Gandalf, Aragorn or Galadriel use the Ring to defeat Sauron. Or Frodo would have resisted the Ring's power to the end and flipped the bird at Sauron while glibly dropping it into the fire, probably saying something clever while he did it too.

Loconte spends time explaining the intellectual and spiritual landscape of the Belle Epoque, when even church leaders were seduced by scientific and technological advances into thinking that Progress would lead humanity to a shining city on a hill. 1914-18 blew that all up and buried the Myth of Progress in a corpse filled trench. Really a bit of cynicism and turning away from old ideals is understandable. I'm surprised more just didn't go insane.

Instead, Tolkien gives us heroes who fail and are flawed,  but they struggle anyway because struggling against darkness, even without final hope, is what we have to do. The elves fight the "long defeat" and have seen many fruitless victories. The striving of the great only serve to create space and time for the hands of the small to turn the wheel. But even then Frodo and Sam fail at the end and the world is only saved by Grace unlooked for. Bilbo's small unplanned act of mercy, to not kill Gollum in the cave, is the tiny event, without witnesses or fanfare, that saves Middle Earth. 

Loconte is a religious philosopher, so he's not as concerned about a literary analysis as I am. He also gives a bit more space to C.S. Lewis and his Christian allegory The Chronicles of Narnia than I would have liked. But Lewis is, perhaps, more readily accessible to his themes. Still,  I found this a thought provoking read about J.R.R Tolkien, my favourite author. 


6 comments:

  1. I had not heard of this book before, it sounds fascinating. Thanks for mentioning it. By the way do you listen to any of the podcasts like Prancing Pony which look at the text in depth? They are well worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I should though. I usually listen to music while I paint.

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is a book I have to find! And for the same reasons you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured my clerical friends would particularly enjoy it.
      Glad to help.

      Delete
  3. Interesting, I might give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, glad to hear you are a Tokein student too. I like your description of why you like Tolkein and I feel the same way. Even more so as I age.

    ReplyDelete