In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Bavarian Army Reference

I have just received this fantastic book as a gift, because I have pretty awesome friends.

The Bavarian Army 1806-1813 by Peter Bunde. Originally in German, translated by Richard Sanders. This book is obviously more expensive than the Osprey, but definitely worth it. I had had my finger hovering over the order button actually, and then Scott said he'd gotten it for me. So good timing.

Full of colour plates and lots of uniform details. Up until this weekend I had been getting Twitter connections to photograph pages for me for reference. 






Now I can give it a good thorough read and find out all the stuff I've gotten wrong! For example, Chevauleger Regiments had specific horse colours for NCOs and Trumpeters (not necessarily greys). But I'm sticking with the rationale that those niceties disappeared on campaign as remount services struggled to keep the squadrons mounted on anything.

But if you're painting Bavarians in anything larger than 6mm you really should get this book.

In my little corner of gaming Twitter we are having a #Bavarians painting challenge now. My constant WIP posts had gotten others talking about their own Bavarian figures in their lead piles, and the challenge was suggested to motivate everyone to get them done. Of course I've noticed quite a few people ordering figures specifically for the challenge, so Hat, Front Rank and Perry have gotten a little bump in sales thanks to me.





1 comment:

  1. Great looking book,the illustrations look ace,tempting and I haven't even started Bavarians yet!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete