In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, August 28, 2023

Slow Moving Chevau-leger

I almost had these finished on the Canada Day Long Weekend. But then the Quar arrived, and they got pushed to the back burner for seven weeks.

I found them rather frustrating and slow going, because there is so much going on with these figures, and a lot of fussy little details. But they are done now, even with an additional diversion to assemble, prime and paint a couple dozen Middle Earth figures last week. 


These are Perry plastic Napoleonic Austrian cavalry. I assembled them as chevau-leger, but with the full helmet crest, because I like it better. And I chose a regiment with white coats and red facings so they can proxy as dragoons if needed, and also because I like it better. Austrian cavalry should be in white coats, unless they are hussars. But honestly, the only difference is the halter on the horse's head. I know regulations called for bigger men and horses going to the dragoons and smaller men and horses going to the chevau-leger, but I don't see an inch or two really mattering. Plus what recruiting Sergeant, or Lieutenant getting remounts, is going to turn away a recruit, or horse, because it was too big?



Dragoon regiments were easily converted to chevau-leger as well, so how different were they really? Or were they converted to chevau-leger because they couldn't get enough of the right sized mounts and troopers? Personally, I think health and fitness of the horses, and training and elan of the troopers, was far more important than a few inches. I'd take the Chasseurs a Cheval of the Guard over a worn out dragoon regiment any day. 



In Austrian service at least, it seems the biggest difference was how they were used. Dragoons were kept in the Reserve Corps with the Cuirassiers and Grenadiers. So obviously meant for shock action, which might inform the mindsets of the troopers. Chevau-leger were assigned to the Corps to perform light cavalry roles; reconnaissance, pickets, screening, advance guard and rear guard duties. So they might not be as inclined to charge home, despite their straight heavy saber. But cavalrymen are cavalrymen, and eager for a charge if their horses are up to it.

I could just be talking out of my ass too.

I did mess up and glued the trumpeter onto the officer's horse. Oops. 

Too bad. 

Anyway moving on. I'll just say that the officer had his horse shot out from under and he's on a troop horse that had it's saddle emptied. But that is a drawback with plastics. Metal figures assembled with superglue I could have bunged them in the freezer for 24 hours and popped them out of their saddles easy-peasy. Oh well.

I decided to spice up the officer's base by adding a Bavarian Grenadier's helmet and a discarded pack from a left over Hat figure. I was originally going to use one of many extra French shako heads (or even a grenadier busby!), but decided a Bavarian helmet would be more appropriate, since this force will be almost exclusively fighting my Bavarians. I decided on a Grenadier, because the red plume pops nicely in the grass. It was the work of an hour or so to paint them and glue the pieces in place.


But they're done now at long last. I have a not bad Austrian force assembled. I should get the Mad Padre to print me a field gun or two and get them some baggage. Then I should put them on the table against the Bavarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment