In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, February 19, 2024

7th Cadier Mounted Rhyflers

Another snowy long weekend with no errands(!) means a lot of painting while listening to 80s music on YouTube.

After finishing with the tractors, I bashed on with the cavalry. First up the Crusaders. As a nod to friends who served in the local Reserve Force Armoured Regiment, the  1st Hussars, which during the First World War were mobilized initially as the 7th Canadian Mounted Rifles, I am calling these fellows the 7th Cadier Mounted Rhyflers.

The modern, mobile doctrine of the Crusade still has a place for cavalry, acting as mounted infantry and operating in cooperation with kites and light tractors to scout ahead of the tractor wedges, as well as providing vital security screening to the flanks and rear areas. In mountainous areas, the CMR are the only mobile force available to commanders.

Troopers with carbines

The Crusader cavalry have traded in the lances and bright uniforms of their royalist past for khaki and carbines, but they still retain some traditions; the blue stable belts and blue shoulder patches of the 7CMR harken back to their predecessors, the 1st Tok Hussars. I'm sure if we could zoom in, the brass buttons and belt buckles have the rearing cadier emblem of the 1st Toks.

Officers naturally still carry sabers, and they're always looking for a charge.

Big Quar with saber


7CMR were the Divisional Cavalry cawtrad for the 4th Tractor Division during the initial battles for Maer Braech, engaging in swirling cavalry battles with Croftyran cavalry. Their ability to fire their carbines from the saddle while at the gallop balancing out the Croftyran lancers advantage in close combat. Afterwards the cawtrad performed gallantly during the pursuit to the Wall, relentlessly scouting ahead and finding gaps in the Croftyran defenses.

Trooper firing double barreled pistol


I had to add this character, even if it does mean I've got seven instead of an even six figures. Oh well, so sad, it's my army. Perhaps I should get another for the Croftyrans, and swap out his carbine for a saber?

The biggest of Big Quar




Their mounts look like something dreamed up by the French artist Jean Giraud (aka Moebius). The off-white "hood" on their heads is a boney growth to protect them as they aggressively head-butt each other, for reasons known only to them. 

I've also made good progress on their Royalist counterparts this weekend. They should, God willing, be ready for their glamour shots by the end of the week.

7 comments:

  1. I like these, James. I like them very much, but in my case, there's only so much money in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't quite as expensive as GW, but I am indulging myself

      Delete
    2. Even with the 17.5% Black Friday discount, they cost Cdn$9-11 each.

      Delete
  2. You had me at Mobieus. You’re right! Years of Heavy Metal magazine are still in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Moebius influenced my imagination a lot in yhe 70s and early 80s

      Delete
  3. If I am honest, I am indifferent to the Quar models but I LOVE their mounts, especially the way you have painted them- they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I was a bit leery of them at first, but as I painted them, I warmed to their grimsical design.

      Delete