In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, March 11, 2024

Lord Strythcyna's Cadiers (Royal Coftyrans)

The old and the new. a Trooper from Lord Strythcyna's Cadiers working with armoured contraptions from the 23rd Motor Machine Gun Wedge (Recce) somewhere in Toulmore (photo credit: Robyrt Cypu, Lyfe Magazine, Spring 1775)

When the Crusade shook Alwynd's ancient stability, Lord Strythcyna slapped down his paper, blew a great cloud of smoke out of his pipe and declared to his butler "Thundering ancestors! The cheek of it! Something must be done, Huwl, d'ye hear me?"


Always calm in the face of crisis, domestic or international, Huwl replied with a steady "Indeed m'Lord. Shall I fetch the estate manager?"

The estate manager was indeed fetched, and with Huwl offering sage advice, Lord Strythcyna decided to raise and equip at his own expense, a regiment of cavalry to aid the forces of Crown, Clan and Tradition; Lord Strythcryna's Cadiers (Royal Coftyrans).



The regiment, recruited from experienced veteran soldiers and cadier handlers on the Lord's estates, proved it's worth skirmishing with Crusader cavalry. After the Wall was breached at the Battle of Gate 18, the LSC covered the retreat of Royalist forces and at the Battle of Moryl Wood, Is-Caerten Flywrdu's squadron charged to glory. They lost half their number attacking a Crusader heavy shotgun detachment from the 23rd Syccen Division that was in the process of deploying. But their mad, spontaneous charge successfully checked the Crusader advance and gave Royalist forces a chance to consolidate and dig in along new lines.



Is-Caerten Flywrdu was posthumously knighted and awarded the Royal Star of Courage to the glory of his clan.

Joshua at Zombiesmith accommodated me with substitute heads, so I could equip Gwynt lancers in bicornes with Coftyran helmets to make them look more like French First World War cavalry.

French cavalry. 

Coftyran cavalry. Almost identical.

These 6 figures took me three weeks to finish. But I have been distracted by getting Hot Lead ready and messing about with glue, sand, paint and water effect resin as well. Plus I think I was stalling waiting on the missing parts of my Zombiesmith order to be sent. But they're here now, so I can crack on with assembling and painting the rest of them.

Second batch of cratered terrain on old iTunes cards.

If you've followed some of the links you'll notice that I'm paying homage to another Canadian armoured regiment, the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), who served as cavalry in the First World War. C Squadron made their famous charge at the battle of Moreuil Wood in 1918.

4 comments:

  1. Outstanding work James. They are definitely a unique looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey to Quar is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me googling Battle of Moreuil Wood- fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete