Well last year turned out much better than it began; unemployed, out of funding, massively depressed. Now I'm making a bit more than minimum wage, have benefits and a job that even if it doesn't pay that great, treats me pretty well and looks good on the old resume.
I think for a New Year's Resolution I'd like to continue this upward trend. Since no has yet figured out a way to digitize groceries for free download or move the retailing off shore to India or China, I think I may persue this career path that I've stumbled upon.
Gaming wise 2010 rather sucked. I think I've posted all but one of my games on the blog here, so I haven't really played that much. Once upon a time we got together EVERY Saturday night and played card or board games when no one could summon the enthusiasm to organize a miniatures game. So I'd like to game with my friends more this year. Since my schedule has settled down and I'm no longer doing the weekend midnight thing that should be possible.
I'd also like to get my thumb out and paint more. I've got a couple of pretty big commissions to work on plus my own projects. Interleaving a unit or two for me inbetween commissions, or piggybacking similar troops when a customer wants something that I am also building, seemed to work OK last year.
So here's what I'd like to do this year:
1. get enough 15mm SYW Austrians done to have a viable inhouse opponent for my Prussian army.
2. play with said SYW armies!
3. get another platoon of Fallschirmjaeger done
4. finally play a game with said FJ!!
5. finish the last few units of German armour.
6. push other periods forward too by moving some more Colonial, VSF and Medieval troops from the unpainted to the painted box.
7. play some ancients. Too much to hope that I'll get any more legions done, but if I start playing the period again maybe the enthusiasm will strike.
I'll keep chanting No new Periods! No new Scales! as my mantra for now. So 28mm Napoleonics and 15mm SF will have to wait for a bit. Besides 15mm SYW will scratch my horse and musket big battle itch and 15mm WW2 will scratch my tanky itch.
I won't promise to not buy/acquire in trade any new lead though. I do need some supports for the FJ and I need supply trains and artillery limbers for my SYW armies. But otherwise I'll try and keep my purchases focused on terrain. My villages are lacking in churches and for some reason I have a massive desire to do a snow table like this one.