In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Alexander the Great at Hotlead 2011

Another GM has been pursuing a personal vision for the last few years. He's working his way through Alexander the Great's conquest of the Persian Empire, presenting a new battle each year. Last year saw the big climactic Battle of Gaugamela. So this year it was time to head east and face the elephants of King Porus at the Battle of Hydaspes. Friday evening though he ran a smaller game as an intro. The Siege of Halicarnassus, which was part of his campaign to eliminate the Persian naval bases on the Mediterranean coast.


Alexander's army battle Greek mercenaries outside the walls



Right on to the main event. Battle of Hydaspes. 15mm. The ubiquitous DBM rules.

Indian battle line

Elephants. You gotta love an army with elephants.

Chariots

Macedonian phalanx

More pikes and peltasts


Macedonian cavalry



I asked him what he was going to do now that he'd taken Alex to the limits of his campaigns. He wasn't sure, but he may turn his attention to some of the smaller battles and sieges. Or maybe Tyre. We'll see next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment