In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, February 18, 2013

A Muster of Hosts

So being an obsessive list maker, I took an inventory of my painted late medieval figures. This has helped me sort them into Battles and Armies that make some (?) logical sense.

Keeping in mind that I've got my troops based on 40mm x 40mm (50mm deep for mounted) stands, with 4 heavy infantry, or 3 archers (massed longbows or crossbows), or 3 medium infantry types (Welsh), or 2 skirmishers or 2 mounted per stand. A 4 stand unit of cavalry, heavy infantry or archers would be a 'standard' unit. A 3 or 4 stand unit of skirmishers is 'small'.

Here's what I've come up with:
Wars of the Roses troops
Men-at-Arms on foot w/asst'd 2-handed cutlery 4 stands incl'd Royal banner (asst'd figures)
Mounted Men-at-Arms 4 stands incl'd cmd (mostly Citadel)
Mounted Men-at-Arms 4 stands incl'd cmd (mostly Citadel)
Retinue longbows (red/purple livery) 4 stands (Old Glory figures)
Retinue longbows (red livery) 4 stands (Old Glory figures)
Retinue billmen (red/blue livery) 5 stands incl'd flag (Old Glory figures)
Retinue longbowmen (motley) 3 stands incl'd flag (Minifigs and some GW)
Retinue longbowmen (motley) 3 stands incl'd flag (Minifigs and some GW)
Retinue billmen (red livery) 4 stands (Citadel figures)
Welsh light javelinmen 4 stands (Old Glory figures)
Welsh light javelinmen 3 stands (Old Glory figures)
Welsh light javelinmen 3 stands (Old Glory figures)

Burgundian Ordonnance Troops
Mounted Men-at-Arms 4 stands inl'd Ducal cmd stand (asst'd mfrs)
Mounted Men-at-Arms 4 stands incl'd company ensign (mostly Citadel)
Coustilliers 3 stands (Citadel figures)
Coustilliers 3 stands (Citadel figures)
Ordonnance longbowmen (blue jackets) 4 stands (Essex figures)
Ordonnance longbowmen (mostly blue jackets) 4 stands (Essex figures)
Ordonnance crossbow 4 stands (Hotspur figures)
Ordonnance pikemen (blue jackets) 4 stands incl'd banner (Citadel figures)
Ordonnance handgun armed skirmishers (blue jackets) 3 stands (Essex figures)
Ordonnance handgun armed skirmishers (blue jackets) 3 stands (Essex figures)
Field gun
Field gun (needs more crew)

Italian Mercenaries
Heavy armoured pike (half armour) 5 stands incl'd banner (Naismith figures)
Medium pike 4 stands incl'd banner (Naismith figures)
Crossbowm armed skirmishers 5 stands (Naismith figures)
Mounted crossbow light cavalry 4 stands (Naismith figures)

German Troops
Imperial Cmd stand
Mtd Men-at-Arms 4 stands (various mfrs)
Mtd Men-at-Arms 4 stands (various mfrs)
Dismounted Men-at-Arms asst'd 2handed mother-in-law pokers 4 stands incl'd banners (various)
Dismounted Men-at-Arms asst'd 2handed mother-in-law pokers 4 stands incl'd banners (various)
Pavised crossbow  (blue pavises) 4 stands (Citadel figures)
Pavised crossbow (asst'd pavises) 5 stands (Citadel figures)

Swiss Troops
Handgun armed skirmishers 4 stands
Crossbow armed skirmishers 3 stands
Armoured pike 8 stands
Medium mixed pike and halberd kiel 8 stands
Halberdiers 8 stands

Of course, (and this is where it gets confused) much of the Burgundian troops can jump into the Wars of the Roses with ease, and the WotR troops can reinforce the Burgundians or Germans as well. The Italian Mercenaries are really just a division of my German army, and both Germans and Italians frequently form up with the Burgundians. The Swiss just glower at me and wonder when I'm going to paint up that bag of Old Glory Swiss troops I have to reinforce them.

If we go with the 'Rule of Four' (four units to a player/command and four commands to an army) then I'm not too badly off.

4 comments:

  1. That is some collection and would look very impressive lined up on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do, if you don't look too closely! A lot of my oldest paint jobs. If you scroll back to my posts in (mostly November) 2010 I have some posts about them and even pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of obsession on that list. :). Funny how our thoughts are moving along the same lines, and we are both blogging about reviving our medieval armies. Do you remember when I was going through a bad spot and you told me never to get rid of my medievals? Sound advice, I have always been grateful for it. Seeing those Swiss armoured pike blocks on your list brings back memories of a particularly horrid night watching them chew up my Burgundians. I still have PTSD from that fight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had thought you were still running for Bordeux to hop a ship back to England!

    But I've found the thinking out loud on the blog has helped me see some order in my chaos and discern some not too bad OrBats.

    ReplyDelete