In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, September 29, 2014

NO NEW PERIODS! NO NEW SCALES! Wait never mind.... Ultra Modern Canadians

I had recently been tempted by a discount offer at Peter Pig and was pondering their 15mm modern US Marines as proxies for modern Canadian troops. Conferring with friends in the Reserves, they aren't quite right, but 'close enough'... but then I had another tea and a think and remembered that no one makes a LAV III in 15mm, so really why bother?

Then Dan said "Why not 1/72nd scale?" and indeed, why not? While at KEGSCON I'd gotten talking with some of the other attendees and one of them mentioned Elheim Figures, so I got poking about their site and discovered their WIP page on The Guild Forum. I was promptly directed to these:
One pack so far for sale, but Elheim hopes to have more ready by Christmas and has 6 in total planned if they gain some traction (i.e. sales).

I also was directed to S &S Models and found this:

A LAV III Kodiak, God help me.

Being a totally new period, it's not like I would get any benefit from being able to use pre-existing figures or terrain (OK some of my North West Frontier stuff could have been re-purposed but not very much). So why not 1/72nd scale? Big enough for the figures to be interesting, small enough for the vehicles to be cost effective. Die cast civilian vehicles are cheap and aircraft kits are easy enough to find.

So if folks are going to be nice enough to make dedicated modern Canadian figures, I think it is my patriotic duty to support them.


2 comments:

  1. about time! Id build a Canadian army. Still trying to build a Cold War one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check with QRF, rumour has it he has Cold War Canadians coming out very soon.

      Delete