In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Cow Says "Moo!"

I've been casting about for livestock for my medieval village for a while now. I've looked at many varied options; the Pegaso set didn't have enough sheep, the Pendraken animals you got too many of anything! Then in October Warlord Games ran a free shipping deal and they had what I wanted, so I jumped on it. The sprue of plastic farm animals, the blister of metal sheep and a pack of tufts was enough to get the shipping deal.


The larger plastic animals come in 2 or 3 parts and required some gap filling putty.

After a bunch of Google searches for inspiration my village now has two cows




Eight sheep and a goat




Two stands of 4 sheep each would be too balanced and symmetrical. So I added the goat for some dynamic energy. The cattle and sheep are based on wooden oval craft shapes.

A donkey, 2 geese, 4 chickens, 2 ducks and a cat.

Mr. Tibbles and the waterfowl are based on the metal disks punched from holes in electrical boxes.

I used inks on the cows, donkey and chickens.

There is another cat curled up asleep, but I need to Google image search orange tabby cats in order to figure out how to get it looking the way I want. There is also a sow and two piglets which I'm trying to decide how to finish.

I based them with usage as objectives in mind. Those English or Goblins need something to loot after all.

4 comments:

  1. They look great. I look forward to the goblin raid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the Pegasus set, your right about not enough sheep,it was before the Warlord set came out,it looks pretty good,I like the"I added the goat for some dynamic energy"!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3×3 looks better than 2×4 or worse 2×3 and a 1x2

      And goats do have a lot of dynamic energy...

      Delete