In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, July 9, 2023

I've Got Squirrels!

I haven't obsessively checked the tracking on a package like this ever before. I had hoped  that my order from Zombiesmith would arrive in time for my four day, Canada Day holiday, long weekend mini-vacation. But it showed up on the Tuesday after. Ho hum.

I decided not to wait for the plastic release and got a head start with some support weapons, specialty figures and characters that won't be in the plastic set, plus just a few rhyflers to get me started.

I've spent the week cleaning and assembling soooo many Quar!

Royalist cook with pigs. Good for snuffling out truffles and termites, or eating. Whichever.
Cook's back pack

                                                

Royalist heavy shotgun.

Royalist ryhflers




Nice details, like this drum magazine pouch for the Royalist machine gun

So many bits! Crusaders seem to have even more pieces!

Squirrels! Messenger squirrels with handler

Crusader heavy shotgun. This was a complicated assembly. Lots of superglue accelerator. Let each join bond then do the next bit. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey.

Each support weapon came with gunner, two assistants and 3 extra ryhflers, which has bulked the troops out considerably. My Crusader Support Weapons section was two LMG teams and 8 ryhflers, So the Crusaders have lots of troops really.

For the Royalists, assembly was straight forward; clean flash, drill out neck hole to ensure a good fit, glue on head and pack.

The Crusaders were much the same except for the greater variety of pack options and some head variety. I noticed that these ryhflers, being later production than my first pack, were all one piece castings without the separate arms and rifles to line up. Some figures like the sapper, with his shovel and mines, or the No. 2 for the LMG teams. came with separate arms though.

The weekend saw them all primed and the first batches for both sides given my runny brown undercoat. This was something I could easily do while finally watching The Duelists Sunday morning. I generally don't watch anything while painting, it takes too much attention, but undercoating is simple enough.

But some Austrian chevauxleger are within a hair of being finished, so I shall get them done before I begin on the Quar.

No comments:

Post a Comment