In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, July 30, 2023

This Band of Quar

To reward myself for getting so much painted, and spending 5 hours on the highway Saturday, I set up a game for the Quar Saturday evening after Mrs. Rabbitman and I had returned home and eaten dinner. 

I used "The Village" scenario/map from Wargames Soldiers & Strategy issue 125. Just a straight forward equal points meeting engagement with the objectives to: 1. get figures on the table, 2. roll some dice, and 3. try out the unit profiles I had worked up.

Piece of dowel marks table edge

Croftyrans enter this edge

The Croftyrans had 22 points, but rolled a "Logistician" for a leader trait, so I let them take a squad of rhyflers that aren't flocked yet.

The Crusaders had 23 points and rolled "timid" for their leadership trait. So I put their Is-Caerten into the LMG squad instead of the bombers squad. 



I suppose if I was going to break my rules and let unflocked bases into a game I could have also let the Croftyrans have their heavy shotgun team and then the Crusaders could have their Kite.

Croftyran sniper infiltrates into the tree line on the right flank

Tractor and 3x rhyfler squads move into the village


Crusaders cross the worm fields

Sniper, followed by bomber section in the center

Heavy shotgun follows

Bombers clear the first farmhouse

Rhyflers sweep along the right flank

Sniper starts taking shots at the tractor, hoping his AP might do some damage

MG team and bonus rhyfle squad take Croftyran left flank


Sniper moves forward to hide in the grain, effectively locking down the right flank



Crusader LMG squad holds the Crusader left

HSG starts engaging the tractor

Crusader rhyfle squad makes a tactical error hoping to sneak up on tractor



Tractor takes the easy target, killing 2 Crusaders

Bombers advance, LMG section occupies the house they've just left to get a better field of fire. Bombers, assisted by sniper fire, will storm the house on the right

HSG keeps pounding on the tractor, eventually causing the crew to bail out. (They failed their courage test and should flee, but I couldn't see them getting their tractor turned or backed out of where it was, so I marked it with some smoke as abandoned)




"Ssssh... be very, very quiet."

Crusaders do an flank move, after a couple of turns of shooting the MG team breaks them.

Fighting in the lane. Royalists assault farmhouse occupied by Bomber squad

Bombers counter attack but get driven back!

After this things rather fizzled out. The HSG team finished off the Royalist squad. The Royalists were down the tractor and two rhyfle squads wiped out, including their commander. The Crusaders had two very depleted squads. One would evaporate if it failed the next Rally test.

Slight Crusader victory, but only just.

Lessons learned: Crusaders need more cheap, bog standard Rhyfler sections for numbers. Heavy Shotguns should maybe have Anti-Tank as well. I should think of something cool for the cook and pigs. Just using them as another squad doesn't look/feel right.

It was fun just moving toys around. I am pleased with how my Napoleonic terrain looks with the Quar. I'm already wondering how this would play with Through the Mud and the Blood or Chain of Command. I am also now thinking an awful lot about vermiculture and what a Quar farm would look like. I think I need some more haystacks from 6Squared Studio and I should build some bee hives/worm bins/ termite boxes and dung heaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment