In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Whimsical Quar Buildings

I got these TTCombat Halfling Windmills from a Hot Lead vendor who was running a 25% off Closing Business sale. Three buildings for $15? Why not? Windmills show up a lot in art depicting Alwyd, so I decided to take a punt on them and hopefully add a little more whimsy onto the table. 

Picture from Western Iron, a Quar supplement

home picture from the Quar Facebook Group, this influenced my colour choices

They were rather frustrating to assemble and the downloadable instructions were a bit vague. I had to refer to the finished product catalogue picture more than once to see what I needed to be doing, and puzzle out how to get there. Dry fit everything before gluing just to make sure.



Also, Gentle Reader, if you buy these, paint the structure first before attaching the windmill fans, and paint the windmill vanes separately, then attach the vanes and glue on the roof. It will save you some headache and you'll thank me later. But they do turn, so there's that.



I dispensed with the odd carvings on the bottoms and covered the plug holes with timber made from coffee stir sticks on one windmill and popsicle sticks on the other. I also dispensed with the odd paper timber effect on the corners and just used coffee stirrers/popsicle sticks.



A bit rough and ready. But they'll do.


2 comments:

  1. These have turned out great. Just the right level of quirky and whimsy
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete