In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Quar of Command at KEGSCon

As stated in my last post, my Quar of Command game at KEGSCon went over fairly well. A player on the losing side wanted to fight it out to the bitter end because they were having fun. Having fun even when you're losing is a Good Thing in my opinion, so I must have done something right. Or they were just happy to be at a gamesday and rolling dice.

I was so busy GMing I didn't take any pictures. I used the same scenario and similar table set up as I had with the Mad Padre and in a second game with Scott and Patrick to test the cards with CoC. Two companies were advancing to try and control some abandoned trenches out in No Quar's Land. I used an abbreviated Patrol Phase. Each side got three Jump Off Points and 4d6 to allocate between them for movement. So they could advance them 6 inches plus 1 or 2 d6 inches further. Each side managed to get their JOPs into some cover.

Instead of the CoC activation dice,  which can be frustrating in a convention game, I used the Clash of Rhyflers activation cards. A deck made of 3x threes, 4x fours, and 3x fives. The top card is discarded at beginning of each turn to prevent card counting. When it's your phase, the next card is drawn by the GM or your opponent, but you can't see what you've got until you try to activate that fourth or fifth thing and are told you've run out. One run through the deck is a turn. At the end of a turn routing troops and captured JOPs are removed. I used the CoC Force Morale system as written. 

Although a suggestion from the Quar Discord was that killing a Medic would increase Force Morale by a die roll, because the rhyflers are so enraged by the breaking of the Laws of War. I had mentioned having to forbid players going for easy "Support Option Eliminated" points by shooting at the stretcher team and someone gave me that suggestion as a remedy. 

Here are the Player Quick Reference Sheets I made up. What you can do is on the front, weapon stats on the back. A sheet for each side. I've taken photos because it seems trying to add tables from Word docs results in the right hand columns getting cut off. But if you want, you can download the docs from the Quar Discussion Facebook Group files section. 






You'll note that I've included my own tractors, not just the official models. 

The Royalist players quickly grasped using cards to activate Big Quar, and then using them to activate teams and sections. The Crusaders didn't and fought a lot of the game with their Big Quar and half of their company off table.

Everyone grasped using the pykpyks for rerolls though. Each side had 8 thanks to 3d printing!

I'm pretty happy with the weapon stats and this might become my main way of playing Quar going forward. Although I'll need to do a sheet for the Partisans and armies 4 and 5 probably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment