In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Late Romans

Back in the summer, when I was temping, needing money and had some time, a friend asked if I would paint his Late Roman army. Of all the gaming related enterprises I have done, commission painting is the only one I've ever actually made money with.
So I said yes.
He didn't get the figures to me until October however, and by then I was knee deep in Afghanistan grape fields and busy with cadets.
So I've only just gotten his first legion done. I believe that they are all Foundry figures. The shield decals are from Veni Vidi Vici. The red eagle on blue background makes these chaps the Legio Ioviani, one of the senior Legio palatina and part of the Italian Field Army.
Legionaries
Decals are fairly novel to me and I find them intimidating. Fortunately the customer provided spares and I only pooched two. There are a couple I would have liked a bit straighter, but fussing would have made things worse I think.
Legionary archers
Most of the figures came primed and glued to nails, but some late additions weren't, so a few got my PVA glue to a scrap of card for priming and painting.
Some close ups

Tribune and legionary

Back side
While I was applying decals I figured I should do some of my until now, marking-less WW2 vehicles, starting with German transport.

These are also the first to benefit from my new fixed painting area. I have set up a table near the bunny warren and Biggles and I share the light from my desk lamp.

In addition to the Coyotes and the extra LAV III, I hope to get another legion or a couple of auxiliary cohorts done in time for Hotlead.

4 comments: