In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, January 22, 2017

One Banner to Rule Them All -4th Orc Unit Done

Finished the fourth unit of Uruks for Angmar this weekend.


I had a burst of inspiration for the banner. My old tattered copy of The Lord of the Rings has on the cover the Eye of Sauron encircled by the script Gandalf finds on Frodo's ring at Bag End.

But how to do it without it looking like a deflated football? Circles are impossible to free hand. Especially with lettering.

Then I remembered my old set of drafting tools and the circle template my dad got me when I was little and liked drawing tanks and spaceships and stuff. Picked a circle that fit neatly within the flag, used a pencil to trace it lightly on the black and remembered to dot the center so the Eye would be in position.

I used a graphic that I'd found on Pinterest as reference. Copying the script going around in a circle would make it easier to follow with the paint brush.

I am quite chuffed with the results. Here are some snaps I took on the painting bench before wrinkling or doing the bases:

A Nazgul would probably criticize my calligraphy and spelling, but you get the effect.

This gets my Legions of Evil up to:
  • Caradamarth ("Red Doom" dragon) greater warbeast, with flame and cunning 10 pts
  • Morithol ("Dark Helmet") elite rider with venemous 9 pts
  • Werewolf, lesser warbeast with cunning and magic armour 8 pts
  • Wizard, light missile plus Spellcaster 8 pts
  • Witches, light missile plus wizardling 6 pts.
  • Men of Carn Dum cavalry, heavy riders 4 pts
  • Men of Carn Dum, heavy foot 4 pts
  • Men of Carn Dum, heavy foot 4 pts
  • Men of Carn Dum, heavy foot 4 pts
  • Trolls, bellicose foot, 4 pts
  • Orcs, light foot with missiles 5 pts
  • Orcs, light foot with missiles 5 pts
  • Orcs, light foot with missiles 5 pts
  • Orcs, light foot with missiles 5 pts
Which is quite a lot. Easily two, or possibly three, warbands.

But I'd still like to add a couple of Reaper trolls, wolf riders and some goblins.

6 comments:

  1. You have done a super job with the flag,it looks great. A mighty force indeed.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, those look flipping great! Your army is indeed becoming quite a horde.

    But that banner..... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, this is a fantastic achievement, well done getting this force together. I can't wait to see it in action and to see if I can cobble together something to stop them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Riders of Rohan plus my dwarves and Elves?

      Delete
    2. I might be able to throw some Gondorians together soon ... I am working on some reinforcements and they are a pretty easy paint job.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff love the standard and the dark look of the Orcs, very Middle earth.

    ReplyDelete