In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, December 29, 2014

Snowy terrain!

About three years ago, Pasha Dan picked me up several bags of post-holiday discounted winter trees. Well, on Christmas Eve Day this year, while downtown and getting Mrs. Rabbitman's last minute list checked off, I stopped by the local chain fabric store.
They had a sale on fleece.
So I found a nice bolt that had 2 m wide white fabric on it, marked down from $14 to $10/m.
"I'd like three meters please."
The sales person doesn't think that it has 3 m on the bolt but she checks. As she's measuring, we notice some dirt marks.
"Oh dear" she says.
"Hmmm," I say pretending to think hard about it. "I think I can work around that." But really thinking that snow isn't normally pristine and white anyway.
So I took the whole bolt, 2.9 m and got it for $18 and change.

Time for a photo op to see how it looks with the trees. As you can see I've done up some bare Woodland Scenic tree armatures and Dan also gifted me a resin pond from the Christmas Village stuff he grabs on discount.

The Typhoo division is still marching about seeking Wierdy-Beardy's monks.




Swiss march to Nancy.





Frederick won't let his army go into winter quarters quite yet. Notice that I've taken out the huge trees!





The pink and blue insulating foam hills do show through a bit, so I'll have to get an old white sheet to go under the fleece, as recommended by Pasha Dan.

Of course by the time of the Rhine battles in February '45, the snow had melted, so I just need lots of barren trees and muddy ground for those, but I am thinking still someday of the Peter Pig Germans and Russians in great coats and camo smocks with properly snow flocked bases for wintery East Front battles. But that will be a project for another year.

4 comments:

  1. White glue and baking soda all around?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Could do. I sell some 'snow' flocking in my eStore too. But I've heard baking soda adds a bit of sparkle to putty etc.

      Delete
  2. I'm shivering just looking at these pictures. It looks good, we'll have to find a way to play on it before I move.

    ReplyDelete