In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Monday, April 6, 2020

A Very Boring Hill Upgrade

Many years ago I made a Very Boring Hill for my 15mm Sassanid Persians.  It was a a rough cone of expanded polystyrene  (the crumbly white stuff) covered in tissue paper, glue,  and sand. Troops slid down the sides like they were on a ski holiday. It was terrible, but I never threw it out because I'm like that.

Decided to give it a renovation similar to my other hills, since I'm feeling a bit Middle Earthy and might get some more dwarves later this year. So a nice rocky hill that can be defended resolutely by dwarves or elves is what I wanted. Plus I wanted to try some things out before launching into a tower on a rocky hill suitable for dwarves and elves.

Friday might I sat down with a box of chunks of insulating foam from saved off cuts, and a hobby knife. I carved rock shapes and glued them in place with wood glue.



I wanted to make sure the top was left open to hold a unit, and also make some ledges for figures attacking up the slopes to stand on.

Saturday morning the cracks were filled with latex caulk, smoothed out with a wet finger.

Sunday morning I grabbed a big brush and big bottles of cheap craft paint and slapped on a runny base coat of black and brown.

After lunch I grabbed a big old stiff nylon brush from 25 years ago when the kids did tempra painting. 3 shades of grey and some tan to do a fast and dirty dry brush of the highlights. Some of the base colours were still wet, but that just created some interesting blending.


Add flock before dinner.

And some flower tufts after dinner.
Now that's a much more Exciting Hill!





1 comment: