In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Rogue Stars

Rogue Stars, last year's science fiction skirmish game from Osprey Publishing, arrived in my mailbox Wednesday.

I have decided to give it a try based upon price, availability and some decent reviews on the Lead Adventure Forum. It is very close to role playing, each figure potentially having its own skills, traits, equipment and abilities. But I will preserve, since adventures with a more Firefly or Expanse vibe require a bit more roleplay than a squad level skirmish game like Stargrunt. It also comes as a hard copy. I have found PDF rules (Nordic Weasel Press over at Wargames Vault has some suitable rules too) a problem; they're expensive to print out or a nuisance to try and reference during a game when you're still learning and need to look stuff up.

But a work around for the roleplay detail can be reached by having only one or two easy to keep track of characters, and the rest of a team/squad/crew can be made up of generic identical troopers/minions. Or keep the plucky crew of the independent merchant ship "Anxiety" small enough that each character is easy to keep track of.

It is also finally above 0 this weekend, so I have been able to get some scatter terrain  I made back in November and a bunch of 3-D printed furniture Keith did for me out to the garage to prime.

Rogue Stars is intended for a 3' square playing area. 4 of the boards I plan to lay out my space colony on make for an area roughly 3' square. So I think using 15mm figures and terrain will give a better sense of space and I think more visually interesting layouts.

Four of these boards will be roughly 3x3
OK, I might need to rethink the launch bay. Having such limited access to a quarter of the table might be an issue. But tonight we're going to start some trial games and see how it works.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to following your progress. And seeing how you get on.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear what you think of the game. I've heard both good and bad about it.

    ReplyDelete