As a treat I decided to paint my second limber and the ammunition caisson for my Bavarian artillery before moving on to the last battalion of infantry.
While doing some image research, I noticed in these contemporary paintings that the horses for Bavarian artillery teams were matched.
|Bavarian artillery at the siege of Breslau in 1806, detail of a painting by von Kobell|
|Detail of painting of Bavarian Corps at the Battle of Polotsk, 17 Aug 1812|
So I've done the same for my artillery limbers. Yes, probably with horse casualties and replacements, this nicety didn't last long, but I don't care. It looks better.
Looking at strengths for the 1809 and 1812 campaigns, I could increase my Bavarian artillery considerably. In 1809 each of the 3 divisions had 1x light and 2x line batteries, with 3x batteries of 12 pounders held at the Corps level. For the Russian campaign the army was reorganized into 2 divisions (each of 3 brigades, there's that 3rd Brigade again!), each with 2x light batteries, 3 x line batteries of 6 pounders and 1x heavy battery of 12 pounders.
Fortunately the light (horse) artillery batteries wore almost the same uniform as the line, so I could use the simple expedient of "the battery with the limber is the light battery." Or spend the money and get a proper Wurstwagen for it.
|Bavarian light artillery crew riding their Wurstwagen caisson. This doesn't look comfortable, but I guess it's better than walking.|
I know, I know, First World Problems.