In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

My New Store!

I've always dreamed of having my own hobby/wargaming/book store. Mrs. Rabbitman and I figured we'd have 'her' side (mysteries and cook books mostly) and then 'his' side (history books and wargaming minis). With this new digital age and the beating brick and mortar stores are taking (plus life taking me along a completely different path than I thought when I was younger) the dream faded (along with the Bed & Breakfast/Wargames Holiday Center dream).

Then opportunity knocked in the form of Martin. I've known Martin for years (he was the fellow who set me up with the Tau that I traded in for my 15mm Canadians as you can read here). Martin had been a partner in WGG Distribution which made it's debut at Hotlead last year.

I contacted Martin to ask if they want a booth again. No, it has to fold for assorted reasons. They sold off the Science Fiction and Fantasy parts of the inventory to another company but Martin had all the historical miniatures left. About $9000 worth. Would I be interested in helping him with a webstore? He provides the initial stock and I fill the orders. We split the profits. I was hesitant but my Snugglebunny said "I only work part time so I can help. We have the extra room. It could be fun."

So a week later, while I'm off on a blustery wet weekend tramping through woods with cadets, Martin shows up with a cube van full of boxes, packing materials and shelving units and fills my garage. Snugglebunny starts playing with shelving units and trying them out around the house. She decides on the dining room (it's not like we have people for dinner very often). So last night we start setting things up.






So there it is; J&M Miniatures. We still have a few administrative details to sort out before we start taking people's money, but we're ready to go otherwise! We don't expect to get rich doing this but a bit of extra cash is always good and I can add to my unpainted pile at wholesale prices now!

It's not like I'm not busy enough, but when Destiny calls collect, sometimes you've got to accept the charges.

11 comments:

  1. Best of luck, it should be fun. Can't wait to see the actual webstore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the very best of luck with your new venture!

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Randy, I hope you and Kathy don't mind having dinner some night surrounded by our stock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the best of luck too. Going on your own is a brave move indeed. That webstore will be in my bookmarks for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one! Best of luck with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chaps. Just got to get a few things sorted and then I'll be happy to start taking your money! :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent! Best wishes for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snugglebunny?

    Good luck with the webstore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pet name for Mrs. Rabbitman. :)

    ReplyDelete