In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Why Not Throwing Anything Out Can Be a Good Thing

As I get to the end of painting the figures and vehicles for my Afghanistan project, I am pondering the terrain they will fight over more and more.

Some of that terrain could be marijuana fields, which is a big cash crop in the region.

Canadian soldiers establish an OP in a ruined Grape hut surrounded by marijuana
Tall dense fields of marijuana provided significant cover for the Taliban during Task Force Orion's (TF 1-06) Battle of the White School House in the late summer of 2006, allowing them to enfilade and ambush the attacking troops.

I had been thinking of something along the lines of Mikey's ACW corn fields:


But with the stems inverted and cut into more of a cone like tiny pine trees. I was thinking I would wait for the cheap artificial Christmas decorations to arrive in stores in the fall and get something small to be cut up. Then I remembered some ugly plastic plant bits Mikey had thought about turning into trees, didn't like the thought after all and unloaded them onto me. I shoved them into my yellow tub of odd bits where I left them, occasionally thinking I ought to throw them out but never getting around to it.

Then today I remembered them and discovered that I had quite the pile shoved in among useful bits of plastic tubing, steel wire and a stack of obsolete computer CDs.

Pile of junk turned hidden treasure?
As you can see they are quite long and I should be able to get 2 or more pot plants out of each stem. I also have a few artificial Christmas greenery bits (on the left) in the pile too.

There are also some cheap cake decoration pine trees, which might do as well. The one on the left looks like a pot plant already!
So I guess the next step is to decide on the size of bases for optimal flexibility and start cutting.


1 comment:

  1. Every gamer must have a box or two of bits that can be eventually turned into terrain. My wife calls this hoarding though...

    ReplyDelete