In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

First Batch of Romans Done

The first 30 of my lovely A&A Middle Empire Romans are done!

2 doz infantry, giving me either 2 units for Lion Rampant, or 3 groups for the new Too Fat Lardies ancient rules Infamy, Infamy! Plus a 6 figure unit of archers and a spare leader.













Notice the detail on this senior officer. The pectoral plate on his armour has a figure of Mars! Same on the greaves.

Shields were done with Little Big Man Studios transfers. I do like painting shields but I wanted a very elaborate design, like what I see in the pictorial reconstructions in my books.

Some of the reds I achieved by using red airbrush paint over my usual brown undercoat instead of separate shade and highlight tones.

But now that I've figured out how I want these guys to look, and the super busy training period with Air Cadets is almost done, the rest should go quite quickly.

9 comments:

  1. Great work! I thought the TFL rules were Disciplina et Virtus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a draft title, but Richard decided Latin was kind of pretentious and easily duffed. And gaining fame and infamy points is a thing as your big man climbs the political ladder

      Delete
  2. Super work on these, they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I may have to get some Romans and hairy barbarians now. TFL have a number of interesting games in the pipeline that are awfully tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely figures after painting. The shield transfers do work really well. I am looking forward to seeing them in action.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice job; that is excellent progress over the past month. I really like those archers in mail; they look very "eastern."

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are quite splendid, and the shield transfers add a lot. Are they 2nd century AD, about the time of Trajan, or later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3rd cent. Roughly AD 190-260 ish.

      Delete
    2. Marcus Aurelius, Severus, bunch of tossers who messed things up.
      Gaul and Britain sometimes having their own Emperors. Zenobia in Palmyra.

      Delete