In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Russian Jaegers



I didn't really need any more Russian infantry. But this baker's dozen of Wargames Foundry figures in Mikey's for sale box were too nice to pass up. 9 troops in firing line wearing fatigue caps and 4 command (2 officers 1 drummer 1 ensign) in the pre-1812 shako. 

I decided that my Russians really needed some Jaegers and the all green with black would be suitably different. I could have put them in white coveralls too, but green was also quite common. I tried to accomplish some red piping on the plackets and turnbacks but I'm not too happy with the results.

The Foundry figures were naturally lovely to paint with great faces, natural folds in the clothes, and good detail on the locks on the muskets etc.


I also opted for 4x bases of 3x figures each instead of single bases. Easier to manage and more versatile. They can be a battalion in a big battles game too. I've already decided that my Bavarian light troops will be based this way as well and for the same reasons. 



The flag is from the Warlord Games plastic Russian infantry box. 

Update 08 June 2021: I have since been informed that Jaeger regiments did not carry colours in the field until 1814. Probably didn't use drums either. I knew in the back of my mind that that would probably be the case as soon as I started painting their trousers green. 

Oh well. This Colonel is obviously eccentric and brings his colours on campaign.

Napoleonic armies, like Medieval armies, should always have lots of flags.

9 comments:

  1. Had personally 1000, sold 900, back up to 300, only jonesing after about another 150. Never too many....got to march, Moscow to Paris, you see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I didn't really need any more ... But ... sale ... too nice to pass up."

    This is the story of half the miniature I own!

    The Jagers look great, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serendipity shapes most of my projects. I really envy those guys who actually plan their armies.

      Delete
    2. I believe it was Moltke that once said "The best laid plan never survives first contact with the game store sale bin..."

      Delete
    3. Lol
      Sure it wasn't Sun Tzu?

      Delete
  3. They look lovely and I really like the range of headgear. The red piping turned out a treat.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete