In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, November 6, 2022

Riding to Ruin

Had Scott and Weirdy-Beardy over for some Middle Earth action Saturday night. Used both Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant to get my newly painted Rohirrim on the table against a wolf heavy orc raiding force out of Mordor. 

We played the "Sausages with Mustard" scenario from Lion Rampant. The Orcs have to burn the village. Both sides were 43 points, with no magic or heroes. I did give my Rohirrim chief's household the 'blood thirsty' upgrade (which equals 'venomous blades' in Dragon Rampant). Because the armies were bigger I made the force holding the village 6 points instead of 4.

The table with new trees. Orcs deploy in the far corner. Rohan comes in nearest corner.

Forth Eaorlingas!

New light cavalry go wolf hunting

Villagers (light foot with javelins) forming a shield wall including the Bad Squiddo female villagers. 2 pt unit of skirmishers on the far side. 

Rohan right wing sweeping around the village

This unit of light cavalry got game MVP by shooting up both units of Wolf Riders

On the other flank two packs of wolves (Lesser Warbeasts) and my black Wargs (Greater Warbeasts) savaged the Riders opposite them saving the orc flank.


Orc infantry close on the villagers

More wolf hunting


I did not get a picture of my Rohirrim chieftain and his comitatus crashing into the 3d printed Orcs with polearms. It was bloody, but glorious! Paying for the "Bloodthirsty" upgrade paid off by rolling three 6s and driving back the uruks, although the chieftain and his bodyguards were reduced to one figure.

Eventually Scott was down to 1 units of goblin archers still standing, whereas I had some light Riders, and some foot to hold onto the village. A bloody victory indeed.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly seems like a hard-fought victory James! The last image above makes it look like it was curtains for the defenders, so the charge by your chieftain and his hearth guard must have saved the day by the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely an heroic charge and noble sacrifice that is already bring lauded in songs in the meadhalls

      Delete