In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Supporting the Troops

Sharp Practice has various Support Options to help you out, including Holy Men who can be expended to rally shock off of Formations, inspiring the troops with fiery words of patriotism and God at a critical moment.

Some players also use Vivandieres for the same function in French armies. But I thought my mostly German speaking armies would like some pretty serving girls for the same function.


What's a church without a priest?


The priest is a RAFM Call of Chthulu investigator. John, a friend who is a Lutheran priest, wargamer, and historical re-enactor, helped me get the vestments correct. I originally painted the sleeves on his lace surplice wrong. But he steered me right. You can see his wargaming blog The Minstrel Boy here.


For wandering a Napoleonic battlefield, he should probably be in a black suit, clerical collar and wide brimmed hat. But this figure was free from Pasha Dan's lead pile and he is definitely a Holy Man. He's just pissed off that a battle is interrupting Mass.

The serving girls are from Sally 4th. Originally part of a huge 3d print Kickstarter, some of the figures are sold as metal castings. Their shipping is pretty high (4x the cost of a figure), and I didn't want enough from them to justify the cost. But fortunately this year I was organized enough to order them for pick up at Salute, because my friend Peter times trips to visit his parents around Salute every year. Then it was just a couple months waiting for us to manage to connect over the summer.

"Are you boys here for Oktoberfest?"

Gretchen and Frida love a man in uniform, especially when he has a few pfennings in his wallet to buy some refreshments.

the face on the barmaid with the platter isn't as well defined, but she'll do. It's not like my faces are super great anyway.

Gretchen is naturally being very patriotic in a Bavarian blue skirt

Ready for Oktoberfest

3 comments:

  1. Great support options....I have a few Sally Forth miniatures myself, although not these particular girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work all around! And thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking game markers. Extras always help 'sell' the story.

    ReplyDelete