 |
| Friday Family Game Night! |
This past weekend was the
Ragnarok XP Gaming Convention. Daughter Number 1 said she was coming down and had signed herself and my grandson up for a game. So, really it behooved me to join in. The Raganarok Team have been giving me invitations for years, but I've always been busy. This time I didn't really have any excuse.
Friday night we had a real live Family Game Night though. Daughter brought her copy of Twisted Cryptids, and she, Grandson, Mrs. Rabbitman, and myself spent a jolly evening eating stray hikers and dodging investigators while trying to accumulate myth points and become legendary.
Saturday we both signed up for afternoon games so we didn't have to rush in the morning. The convention venu being about an hour away in downtown Kitchener with heavy urban traffic.
Ragnarok is mostly an RPG and board game event, but there were some miniatures. Although most of the miniatures were more for RPG style games. Not a lot of vendors. I didn't need a crochet geek character, or expensive dice, or re-enactment gear. I bought
Zombie Munchkin for my daughter at the Bring and Buy and I bought myself a pack of Japanese scenic items from
Torchlight and Dan gave me a bag of Skaven he found in his closet. Skaven, they just get everywhere, don't they? But after investigation I think I'll get two
Midgard units of Stormvermin and two units of skirmishing Gutter Runners out of it once I've repaired some tails and painted them.
 |
| Event schedule clearly displayed on various large screens |
 |
| Something Marvel. A Marvel themed RPG I think. I don't think it was Marvel Crisis Protocol though. |
 |
| Something Star Wars. |
 |
| Vendors and board games |
 |
| Tanks! |
 |
| Various RPGs on going |
 |
| A different Star Wars encounter |
 |
| The venue had multiple levels. Not many vendors. |
Joe of
Miniature Landscape Hobbies (see also his
Etsy store and his
YouTube channel) was running a game of
Silver Bayonet on a Hobbiton themed board that he had built for a customer,
Torchlight Games and Hobbies, and was delivering at the show. Pasha Dan had also signed up for that, and we knew the other gamer as well, so it was more a meeting of chums than the usual convention game.
 |
| British infantryman moves past a hobbit-hole |
French and British parties meet in an obscure village called Horbiton looking for enchanted items. The villagers have all run off as zombies have invaded the valley, naturally.
 |
| Another British infantryman recruits a bandit lady to our team. Their love affair was tragically brief. I don't think their song got past the first chorus before the dastardly Frenchies shot them both down. |
 |
| British officer recuits another bandit, Codpiece Joe. |
 |
| Our rifleman engages a zombie |
I had hoped that the game was going to be a more of a Middle Earth take on the Napoleonic supernatural game; hobbits fighting Nazguls or something. But the board was fun to play on anyway. Dan and I got absolutely tabled, losing spectacularly to our young opponent.
Speaking of Dan, the weekend before he had brought his modern African warlords over and we squabbled brutally over an abandoned UN Aid Convoy using One Hour Skirmish rules. Dan puts a lot of character into his kitbashes and buildings.
So these were games 23, 25 and 26 of the year.
No comments:
Post a Comment