In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Flying Rabbitman

I just had my first weekend with my new squadron.

They had an aviation weekend planned during which we camped at the Stratford Municipal Airport and learned about aerodynamics, aircraft, aviation and air port activities. The Level 1 cadet in the picture was very excited about her rocket and invited me, as the New Guy, to try it out.

Captain Rabbitman tries the new surface to air missile. Boy, these budget cuts are hell!

We also had a pilot from the civilian search and rescue volunteer group CASARA (http://www.casara.ca/about-casara/) and a Cessna 172 available who took the cadets up three at a time for 20-30 minute flights around the countryside.

We had one left over cadet, so the cadet, myself and my new Officer Cadet got the last flight of the day. The cabin of the plane was very cramped. Fortunately the Officer Cadet is smaller than me!

Ready to take off!

Selfie in a Cessna
The cadet has been taking flying lessons on his own, so the pilot let him take the controls for much of our flight.

17 year old becoming the new COs new driver

I can see my house from here! It's in the top right quadrant of the picture near the big square building and the farm fields 
So that was pretty cool. It was a very busy and very hot day but I learned some interesting things and got to watch the cadets and incumbent staff at work. I was pleasantly surprised at how well-behaved and reasonably tidy they were. Mrs. Rabbitman enjoyed having the car while I was gone for a cadet weekend. I noticed that the driveway was empty when we flew over!

No comments:

Post a Comment