In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Problematic Plumage

As I started basing up the first two groups of Russian Grenadiers, I decided that I really should double check how the drummer should look. I had painted him with white and red lace on the sleeves, like my SYW Prussian drummers. Plus he didn't have a shako plume, unlike everyone else in the formation. Something just didn't feel right. My Spidey-sense was tingling.

To the Internet!

He should only have white tape on his sleeves and a plume on his shako according to http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Russian_infantry.htm#_uniforms like the grenadiers (presumably black). But the picture shows a red plume. Hmmm. 

So I checked some other more or less, reputable sources.

I don't know about you guys, but I quite often use figure manufacturer websites as quick uniform references. Saves reading lengthy web pages. 

The Perry Miniatures webstore shows the plume as red.

But Front Rank shows black. Hmmm.

I decided to let the "Rule of Cool" dictate and went with a deep red. A spare figure was post-haste relieved of his shako plume and the conversion completed.


Basing was resumed and the flags are from the Warlord Games plastic Russian infantry box. I don't know if the shoulder straps, shako pompoms or facings match the flags, but I don't care. The red facings and uniform details just look better. I picked the flag because it is pretty.


The next batch is another group of 8 grenadiers, 6 skirmishers and 3 Big Men, and this will complete this formation and finish the Big Bag of Second Hand Figures.

So here's what I've finished so far:

The Prussians 4x groups 3x Big Men 
 

The Russians 3x groups of Musketeers 2x groups of Grenadiers 1x group of Skirmishers 1x gun 3x Big Men 

The French: 1x Very Big Man

Not bad for two months effort.

1 comment:

  1. Yup. When in doubt, go with what looks good. Works for mw and seems to have worked here too.

    ReplyDelete