In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Things Get Rather Jane Austen Around Here


These Napoleonic civilians were the entire reason I ordered from Front Rank in the first place. The generals, artillerists and schutzen that I've painted up over the summer were entirely a secondary thought.

Honest.

As I've mentioned before I like having civilian characters populating my table to give it some depth and richness. I always have big ideas that they can act like NPCs and have in game effects, but more often than not they are just there to look pretty and help with the immersive qualities of a well laid table.

This gentleman on horseback may be an objective to capture in the next Sharp Practice game. A diplomat who is key to the German nationalist revolt against French occupation perhaps? He has documents vital to keeping Bavaria loyal to the Empire?



I quite enjoyed playing with the browns and I'm especially pleased with how the horse turned out.

The ladies can be a distraction to various Big Men I suppose. I had some fun consulting with Mrs. Rabbitman about their dresses and hats.

I got this pack thinking about staffing a coaching inn or large farm. The pump and horse trough will be useful for clearing assorted Random Events in Sharp Practice. Plus I like the serving women in their caps and aprons. They look like they are well armed with pointed sarcasm.



I used some hot glue for the stream of water and then poured a couple of layers of Woodland Scenics water effects resin into the trough after painting. Hans is obviously getting water for Gretchen on a windy day. But unlike Scrivs I don't have the patience to build up the water stream with successive drops of PVA glue.

This Warlord mule train is the last of the purchases' from Mikey's stash. But a mule train is a support option for SP, so it will have an in-game effect. It could also be an objective in it's own right as well, I suppose. Peddlers moving around the campaign area could be very useful for cavalry patrols to question as a source of intelligence or perhaps he's a spy in his own right. But roving troops would be happy to divest him of anything edible. I was quite surprised with how quickly he painted up once I got down to it.





For the basing I am trying to hint at a track by keeping most of the flocking to the edges of the bases. This was something I did for my Samurai pack horses last year which I thought worked pretty good.

This tinker/peddler with his wheel barrow of goods is a very old figure that I've had for ages. To be honest I have no idea where I got him. He was stuck in my Medieval baggage box, but I thought with his Tyrolean hat and smock he would look better in early 19th century Germany. I just touched up his paint a bit. I have no idea what manufacture he is. I got him second hand. I'm pretty sure I painted him with enamels he's that old.



6 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff. I'm hoping Santa brings me some equivalent ECW stuff for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like civvie sculpts for the same reasons, yet rarely think to get them as then that’s a pirchase of otherwise combat oriented minis that I’d not get.

    Regardless, I think you’ve done a smashing job on all of them, especially that baggage train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great civilians , l particularly like the pedlar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.s have you seen these, they are full of character?
    https://www.gamingfigures.com/product/16664/Ratnik-Miniatures-18th-Century-Civili

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great work and I totally agree about civilian bystanders gracing the gaming table...I must add the Front Rank ones to my collection on day....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Warlord's ECW version of that mule train; wonderful piece to add to the table.

    ReplyDelete