In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Autumn Trees

I bought some bare tree armatures from Model Builder Supply at Hot Lead in March to make some winter or autumnal trees for added character on the table.

Between reading about Tolkien and his affection for trees, and watching Gardener's World, I've been looking at trees a lot lately. This week the trees on my street have begun putting on a pretty nice show so that inspired me to get cutting.

With a sharp blade on my heavy craft knife I hacked out irregular shapes from some fiber board I had on the shelf and beveled the edges.


I then used a drill to make holes and glued the trees in place. There will be stubs to cut off underneath.


The trees were spray painted with charcoal grey and then light grey paint. The bases were painted dark brown and before the paint fully dried they were covered in glue and flocked with some rather awful tasting tea from a discount store.


Tea leaves were then drybrushed with Bestial Brown and Vermin Fur.


I then got my absolutely oldest jar of flock, some 45 year old coloured sawdust that has been waiting for decades for this time!
Now is your time!

This was added in patches to represent fallen leaves.


A bag of Autumnal Mix coloured lichen is then used to add some leaves to the branches and it can be removed for later season games.



4 comments:

  1. They look great James. You can never have too many trees...
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second post I have read recently about tree making and in particular, having red/yellow base material to represent fallen leafs ( the other was Hand Built History). These bases look great and I am definitely going to copy some of these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, well done! Very nice and bright leaf litter on the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking trees. I hope to see them in person one day.

    ReplyDelete