In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Quar Terrain

To further increase the First World War theme for the Quar,  I obviously need barbed wire sections.

After weeks of looking at how-to videos, pondering,  planning, and over thinking, I decided at 9 PM last Sunday night to quit fucking about, and just do it! and started making barbed wire sections. 

I laid out sixteen 3"×1.5" bases on a piece of fiber board paneling. Cut them out with a knife and steel ruler, beveled the edges, and drilled holes with an electric drill. 

By bedtime at 10, I had this:


I cracked on with the first eight to learn as I went. After gluing in all the posts, sand was glued on, and things were let to dry until Wednesday:


A spray of Tremclad Leather Brown and then dry brushing craft acrylic Cashmere Tan and Vallejo Grey Green. Posts were dry brushed craft acrylic Slate Grey.

This is the same palette I used for the trenches, to keep things visually consistent. 


The posts then got some brown ink.


Then flocking. You can vary the amount of flock for more tortured landscapes.


Then it was stringing wire. No glue. I'm just twisting lengths of screen window mesh wire around the posts. A couple of feet for each section, so there were at least two, and sometimes three strands between each post.


I then hit the wire with some brown ink to make it look rusty.


While inking this section I realized the wire was a bit thin, and added some more to thicken it up with more strands.

I also decided to make some scatter terrain featuring craters and broken wire while I'm in the zone.

The craters are formed with a bead of Gorilla Glue and sand.






No comments:

Post a Comment