In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Quar of Command

I had my first game of the year, and introduced Big Pat to both the Quar and Chain of Command Saturday night.

"Contact front! Artillery contraption! Load AP! Fire!"

We've had a thaw this week and Friday after work was warm enough that I got my Crusader tractors out to the driveway and sprayed with a black undercoat.

Saturday I had some time to start splashing on Tamiya NATO Green and then I tried a Quarish variation on NATO 3-Colour camouflage with dark grey (Vallejo German Grey) and Tamiya khaki stippled on using a cheap make up brush. The Centurion model is big enough I decided to try making some triangular stencils to make the camouflage just a little different from NATO and give a bit of a nod to the Art Deco camo on my Royalist tractors.

Crusader light recce tractor substituting for the Alithean

Heavy tractor to substitute for the Baeliog. Not quite finished, but close enough for a game.

Both sides had some pretty heavy Support Options, but I wanted to try some things. The Cook accompanying the Royalist commander could use pigs to remove d6 shock from groups. Big Pat kept forgetting to do this, and I kept forgetting to remind him. The Squirrel Handler accompanying the Crusader commander had 4 messenger squirrels that he could use to change command dice results. 

Red chips are Crusader Jump Off Points, Blue are Royalist. Pat had a second just off camera to the left and a 3rd above his hands on the table edge. My 3rd is way off camera to the top on the table edge.

Caeretan class Main Battle Tractor deploys on table

Royalists occupy the big farm house. He's put a 5 quar Heavy Shotgun team on the second floor from where it can dominate the village.

"Contact Front!" Engaging the Royalist gun tractor.


Big Pat contemplates his options

Taking care of the HSG team with direct fire HE. His Junior Big Quar managed to escape the collapsing structure unharmed.

Advancing past the brewed up Gun Tractor

Fire from the HSG and a couple of snipers had put a lot of Shock on my LMG section in the house. I moved my commander up to rally it off but Pat got a double move and charged in with a section from the standing grain. He broke my section and captured the house, but next turn I counterattacked with the troops in the yard and wiped the intruders out.

Yawdryl class Recce Tractor sweeps around the flank to knock out a Royalist Armoured Contraption


Royalist Gun Contraption blocks my cheeky dash up the road to seize a Jump Off Point

Chasing Royalist infantry who have an excess of Shock, and overrunning a Jump off Point (you can see the blue chip just under the treads) 


I could have played a CoC Dice to end the turn, removing the JOP I'm sitting on, and collapsing his Force Morale, but I decided to blast the Gun Contraption instead, which ended the game as well.

I'm really liking CoC for the Quar, I just need to tighten up the stats for the various AFVs and wait for the plastic set to get more basic ryhflers and Big Quar. The Royalists need some field guns to counter all the Crusader armour. I also didn't bother with ryhflegrenades and bombers since only the Crusaders have them right now. Once I make some for the Royalists then it will even things out.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking game. The mix of WW2 style tanks and medieval buildings gives off a real central/eastern Europe vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the messenger squirrel mechanic!

    ReplyDelete