In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Joining the Family Tradition

It's been a week!

Soon after starting at the Forges of Mordor I got a call from my daughter's boss, asking me to come in for an interview. I had heard about my daughter's dept. manager (she works in the deli and bakery at a local grocery store) calling in and quitting without notice. So I went in and said "I hear you're short on responsible adults. I'm a responsible adult looking for a job" and gave him my resume. A few weeks later he called... gave me a job...

So I finished my week in Mordor and started at the Buy Food last night stocking shelves in the grocery department.

Mordor didn't go too badly really. The last few shifts I was running a die cutter, punching out corrugated plastic totes and dividers for bins, which once I got the hang of, was pretty good and I stopped getting annoying nicks on my finger tips. My supervisor was pretty decent, I was reasonably far removed from the welders and grinders and on the last shift she was pretty impressed with my output. (I'm wierd that way, I like to leave everyone with a good impression...)

But it was only a Temp job and I was as disposable as last night's McD's wrapper once they got their contract fulfilled.
And the snow driving home at 12:30 AM really sucked!


It's nice to actually be hired by someone. This is my first full-time job in 15 months (almost to the day).

The shifts are sucky and all over the map (I'm the weekend midnight manager/adult in charge), but it's 40 hours a week. Plus I figure I was spending about $10 a day on gas going to Mordor, so even though the pay is less I'm further ahead. My Snugglebunny will have the car more too and less hours spent commuting is more time for me.

Me and Chad Vader are gonna be tight now...

No comments:

Post a Comment