In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Step Forward

It's been a somewhat frustrating summer. Working midnights EVERY weekend cramps the summer barbeque socializing scene somewhat. Plus three afternoons a week as well. I'm glad we haven't been offered any free Festival tickets this year, probably wouldn't have been able to take advantage of them (last year when off work we got tickets to three shows).

My immediate boss the Dairy/Grocery Manager had been planning to move out to Calgary in search of fame, fortune and true love while he persued a career in broadcasting. The Boss and Mrs. Boss indicated they would like me to take over his duties.

That felt nice. Really nice. To have someone acutally say that they liked what you do and see the potential for more is quite gratifying. Working more daytime hours and a raise would also be quite pleasant.

But then my Dept. Manager has a fight with Destiny Girl and the whole deal is off. Crap.

But this whole exercise got my Boss thinking and he realized that splitting the two departments and moving me to more daytime hours would be a Good Thing after all. So after a brief summit with my dept. manager we decided I would become the Grocery Manager and he would remain in Dairy. But we'll have to help each other out and share minions anyway.

Of course this is all being delayed horribly by the trouble in finding someone who wants to take my midnight shifts. We had a New Guy who didn't show up for his training shifts and isn't returning calls. He'd better be dead is all I can say; if he's gotten a better job he could've at least called to let us know. Yesterday though the Boss hired a new New Guy who is fleeing the Coffee House of Mordor which dispenses our national beverage, so there is hope still.

Being Grocery Manager in a small grocery store in Southern Ontario was, for some reason, never one of my life's ambitions, but it is a step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment