In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Firm Base

Not a lot of hobby time this week.

But I have scraped the flash and glued all my Elheim 1/72 scale Afghanistan figures to 20mm washers. There wasn't a lot of flash, mostly just the bits from the venting in the mold.

Group shot
I got a bag of Taliban LMG gunners and three of the four had separate bi-pods that required attaching. One of the gunners was lying prone so obviously wouldn't fit on a regular 20mm washer.

I thought about just cutting out a 20x40mm piece of heavy card, but that would look out of place to have one square base among all the round ones. In an 'aha' moment I had the idea to use two washers to make a longer base. With washers there are always a couple that have a flat edge where the stamping die was too close to the edge of the sheet of steel, so I took two of these and glued them together at the flat edges. I also used white glue to stick them on to some heavy paper for extra support. Once the glue was dry I filled in the concavity on both sides with some cheap caulking and let the whole mess dry.

Taliban LMG gunners and base in process
 I then cut the result out, trimming the dried caulking flat and trimming down some of the lumps.



Hopefully I'll retrieve my painting mojo this week.

4 comments:

  1. A very neat solution to a perennial problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I've done the same for prone figures and a motorcycle or two. I buy bulk washers and every so often there are ones that aren't perfectly round - there's a bit nipped off the edge which makes it a bit flat - I usually save these for just such an occasion I glue the two flat sides together with cyanoacrylate glue and fill in the sides with green stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat trick! I'm really going to have to buy some of these figures at some point............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you should! More sales will encourage Elheim to sculpt more Canadians! :)

      Delete