In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Big Sexy Trees

 As I said in my last post, my big purchase at Hot Lead was some BIG trees from Model Builder Supply.

Big Sexy Trees.


Four 8" tall and two 6" tall. Sold by the 2-pack for $24.95 and $22.95 respectively.

28mm Elf knight for scale

Model Builder Supply make their own three dimensional armatures, so their trees are much more realistic looking than the Woodland Scenics trees.


I used a piece of plastic display board my daughter rescued for me from the pharmacy where she works to make a couple of triangular bases and glued the trees on with 5 minute epoxy. Then I brushed on primer and after that dried, glued on a layer of sand.


The bases were then painted dark brown and dry brushed tan before gluing on a scattered layer of flocking, leaving numerous patches of bare earth.



I then glued on some clump foliage, large tufts, clumps of flowers, a fallen log made from a tree branch from one of my apple trees and a couple of bushes I purchased a few years ago at another Hot Lead.

Old tree bases looking pretty wild and ratty now

My long suffering 3-4" trees made from sticks and lichen are fine for 15mm and even 28mm big battles, but I've felt that my elves needed some trees worthy of Middle Earth.

These will be fine for the brambly, overgrown outer edges of the forest with the big trees in the heart of it, right?

But I think I'm in love and need some more.

1 comment:

  1. They look really nice- I have t upgrade my tree collection- and your forest bases turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete