In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Unrushed Russian Uhlans

It's taken me a month to get this unit of 9 figures done, but I am another step towards completing Phase 3 of my Big Plan.


The double stripes on the trousers were surprisingly easy to do

Here, finally, is a group of 8 troopers with a Big Man from the Lithuanian Uhlan Regiment. Like I said, I started these a month ago, but then a war started, depression, anxiety and just getting busier with Hot Lead and cadets sucked all my energy away from painting.


Perry figures via Scott. Nice figures. Easy to paint all the details, even with my crap brushes.


Close up of trumpeter

I know, I know. A cavalry officer on a white horse is a bit of a cliche, but I wanted him to look suitably heroic.

The command pack came with a standard bearer, and while hitting frustration trying to find out info on Russian cavalry flags and the decorative ribbons beneath the finial, I decided it was simpler just to give him a lance instead out of my bits box. Uhlans and hussars apparently didn't carry their flags in the field anyway, which makes sense. Fortunately, the Hussar Command pack has an officer, trumpeter and NCO. No flag pole to worry about. 

The troublesome flag pole

Lance pennons are from GMB Designs. The lance pennons provided by Scott determined which regiment I painted. Although I probably would have picked the Lithuanian uhlans anyway. I have 17 left over in the pack, so if I decide to expand the formation when Perry release the plastic uhlans, I can easily enough.

I used contrast paint for the tunics and trousers. Brown and black ink for horses and leather.



Now my Allied army has a combined (Prusso-Russian) brigade of cavalry for General d'Armee games and the Russians have a group of cavalry for Sharp Practice


2 comments: