In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Friday, January 7, 2022

New Plan!

Remember when this all started as a nice, little Sharp Practice project to burn off the lead pile? Yeah, me too. Good times.



You know the old saying; "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."

It seems to apply to my wargaming too. But still better to make a plan and change it as I go, then wander around with no plan at all.

The Big Box of Russians has been causing a lot of rethinking, and I've tried to come up with a plan to help keep me focused and on track. Sort of.


I have enough for a biggish game of Sharp Practice, so except for a bit of cavalry, everything will be done with General d'Armee and big battles in mind.

The plan will be executed in four phases:

Phase 1: finish the Bavarians I have on hand. 2x battalions of infantry needed to finish the brigades, an artillery limber, and an artillery caisson. These are being assembled and primed. already.

Phase 2: rebase Bavarian and Russian artillery and Russian skirmishers. I've decide that single base artillery crew and skirmishers aren't working for me. Bases are cut out. It's just glue and paint now.

Phase 3: start on Russian uhlans and hussars, skirmishing jaegers, and some guns.

Phase 4: alternate Prussian and Russian infantry units, and artillery, until I explode.

Future purchases will depend upon how I'm doing:

  • Prussians need fusiliers and some cavalry, but I'll wait for the Perry plastic sets. The dragoons will have heads to do both Prussians and Russians. Alan Perry also says the spare Prussian heads can be used to convert their upcoming Russian uhlan set into Prussian uhlans.
  • Russians need 2 or 3 more limbers, dragoons (again waiting on that Perry plastic set), and cuirassiers. At least a brigade of each.
  • Bavarians are pretty good really. Maybe a unit of dragoons for 1809 games, and maybe a 3rd brigade of infantry. But I have enough for a decent game as it is.
But some rough calculations indicate that I will be able to build for the Russians 3 more battalions of grenadiers and 9 more battalions of musketeers/jaegers, giving me a total of 6 grenadier battalions and 11 musketeer battalions.

Which should be more than enough to fill my table.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a solid plan.

    So,.......after that, the next step will be a bigger table? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 28mm Napoleonic's can take over your hobby time. I started with a Sharp Practice skirmish plan and have now gone down the General d'Armee path. As you say, so much for making plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man, a plan, a Canal, Panama...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A man, a plan, a Canal, Panama...

    ReplyDelete