In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Friday, December 30, 2022

A Flurry of White -Last Figures for 2022!

All my Austrians so far, almost enough for a smallish game!

Christmas was pretty snowy around here, with a major blizzard closing roads across much of the continent. But a quiet, snowed in Christmas Eve and still being snowy on Boxing Day allowed for some decent painting time.

Victrix Big Men for IR Froon

Senior officer, junior officer and NCO

This next batch of Austrians consists of Big Men for both the Froon and Kolowrat formations, plus a group of skirmishers in the Froon facings. Even though I've got an extra NCO for Kolowrat, I decided to keep the Victrix skirmishers with the Victrix line infantry. The Mad Padre and I are jumping on the Alps Aflame kickstarter from Piano Wargames. Once the Padre cranks up the 3D printing I won't have to assemble any more skirmishing figures from the Victrix set, which I found extremely tedious. The Piano Wargames poses are so much nicer than what I can make out of the Victrix set.

Big Men for Kolowrat. They look like they're performing at the Vienna Opera. Maybe it's the big hats.


Senior officer is Victrix, rest are all Perry

In order to facilitate using these figures for General d'Armee, I plan to have at least 1 stand of skirmishers for every 16 figure battalion. This should be easy enough and generate lots of skirmish groups for Sharp Practice. I'd like each 4 group formation of fusiliers to also have a group of skirmishers.

Victrix figures. Skirmish group for Froon.

When I was positioning them on my usual 40x40 bases, I realized I was keeping them to the middle of the base, so I decided to just go with using plastic narrow bases for the skirmishers.  It looks a bit old school and saves me cutting out card stock. Might make them easier to position in terrain too.

I now have to revert back to assembling things to have anything to paint, so these are my last figures for 2022. 

Kolowrat formation so far. Bit heavy on the Big Men, but we'll fix that.

Next up will be a standard for each regiment and more troops stands, so that each regimental formation is of 4 groups. This will allow me to field a 2x battalion regiment in a big battle game, or in Sharp Practice they can form a nice 2 group wide, 2 group deep attack column/battalion mass formation.  

I also need to assemble a couple of groups of Grenadiers and as many groups of Landwehr as I can tolerate making, plus of course, associated Big Men. I've read that Grenadiers were not used in the skirmish role, so I won't have to worry about that, and I'm not sure the Landwehr would have been much good as skirmishers. But Piano Wargames does Landwehr skirmishing as well, so we'll see. Thanks to Scott, I can also make a group of Cheveauxleger for the Austrians too. That, plus a gun or two from Piano Games, should give me a decent force for Sharp Practice really.

Froon so far. 

Don't worry, I still have a few battalions of Prussians to assemble and loads of Russians too.

1 comment:

  1. The white is always a challenge, I reckon but you have these looking beaut James.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete