In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

As You Like It

I'm afraid I got into a small tiff on Facebook (yeah, I know, I should have just scrolled past) recently by taking issue with a joke about  a persistent myth in our hobby, which annoys me: the supposed expense of wargaming. 

I remember when I was a lad, somewhere in the 10-14 age range, I had an awful lot of fun playing epic Middle Earth battles using craft paper. Different coloured rectangles for troops of the different races and different coloured shapes for terrain features. Sewing pins stuck through troop blocks held flags. I wish I could remember what rules I was using. I have a vague recollection that I was still recording casualties on a ledger at the time.  Now, I am playing epic Middle Earth battles with largish armies of metal figures on hand made terrain.

This is a long way to make my point that one can wargame as cheaply or as luxuriously as one wishes. But even with deluxe figures and terrain, I think that if one looks at hours of enjoyment derived per dollar invested, miniature wargaming is pretty cost effective compared with golf, or cars, or boats, or even camping. 

In solo gaming it gets even better. Want to play with unpainted, cheap plastic, or dare I say, craft paper armies? Who will argue with you? Or on the other extreme, if you want to spend several evenings setting up an elaborate table (which is part of the enjoyment,  isn't it?) and several more evenings playing out the game, you can. There are no arguments over terrain, scenario balance, or whether or not you painted the cuffs correctly, or will that villager suddenly switch from just being part of the scenery to having some in game effect on a whim?

Just because I like elaborate tables, and honestly I think sometimes I make them too elaborate, you don't have to. Just because I won't play with unpainted figures, it shouldn't stop you. That's the great thing about this hobby, you can do it however you like, spending as much time and money as you want. 

Or as little.

13 comments:

  1. I have a friend who goes to Premier football matches - now that's an expensive hobby !

    ReplyDelete
  2. A subjective discussion for sure. Tho I’m in your team - I think my wife would far rather I spend what I do on this hobby as opposed to all the pricey ammo and guns and accessories for my other hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The game can be played on any agreeable manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct, it is an individual choice of how we do this hobby. Mainly I use painted figures when pushing my toys across the table but I see no reason not to use unpainted figures if I am testing a game or idea. I saw an epic scale Napoleonic game at a wargame show last year using unpainted figures, instantly taking me back 50+ years to my childhood. Those days of playing games with hundreds of unpainted Airfix figures. This is the joy of our hobby we are all individuals ("I am not Monty Python"), it is all about having fun.
    Excellent blog, happy gaming,
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many opinionated people in social media. Got fedup of smart ass**s in Twitter. This is the reason why I re-started my blog, I'm in control of potential trolls and idiots in the comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though some of us idiots still know how to find your blog, Benito. :)

      Delete
  6. All too many wargamers know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    Tom
    (Sorry, Google won't sign me in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, Tom, is a very good way to express it.

      Delete
  7. You are %100 correct James- in the main, this is not an expensive hobby/interest. I work in an industry that is essentially a luxury past time and have buddies that rebuild classic cars and/or own boats. My wife is thrilled I paint and play with toy soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite agree, do whatever works for you. Ignore anyone who tells you that 'you're enjoying yourself wrong'...😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me, it is all about the "playing with toy soldiers" aspect, I am not a gamer per se, don't really like board games of any type that much and can see zero attraction in playing with painted wooden blocks or paper shapes....but that's ok, many others obviously do!
    I suspect I am approaching a psychological tipping point, where I am more a collector and painter of figures than I am a gamer! I still enjoy wargames and will play in as many as I am able to, but I have stacks of figures that I have painted because I wanted to paint them, not because they are ever likely to hit the table!
    What's a bit of a killer for me, here in New Zealand, is the freight costs, particularly now from the US. The postage can literally be as much or more than the figures, so a $2 Brigade Games figure becomes $5 each, which is getting up there in my opinion, particularly as I reckon I can probably afford to spend $50 to $75 a month on figures. You are left looking at two or three largish orders per year, so at least the $60 freight cost equates to $300 worth of figures! But given a cheap meal out for two will cost $100, I still don't think the hobby is particularly expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post / points. I beleive that it is possible to wargame on a budget - plenty of free rule sets out there, facebook groups like Super Cheap Wargaming - and I come across online others who use or convert pound or dollar store plastic figures. Airfix figures are still pretty cheap if limited in range. You can find second hand online a fair range of gaming figures. This i have all found through my occasional Pound Store Plastic Warriors blog at https://poundstoreplasticwarriors.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said, James. The kind of games we played yesterday tick all of my boxes for gaming satisfaction, and are the reward of being older, more experienced, and a little wealthier, even if our bodies and memories may be failing a little. :)

    ReplyDelete