In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Goodbye "Auntie Liz"

This is the picture of HM that hung in my office when I took command of the Air Cadet Squadron. When a more up to date, official portrait arrived, it was taken down and tucked between my desk and wall where it sat for 6 years.

When Covid ended and we returned to the Armoury, I retrieved it from where it lay and took this old picture of a young Queen home where she keeps me company.. 

This is how I'll always remember her.

She was on the stamp when I sent a letter.

She was "heads" in every childhood coin toss.

Her picture was in every school hallway throughout my youth.

To her I gave an Oath and from her I received a Commission. 

I wear her crown on cap badge and rank pips.

She provided several generations with an unparalleled example of selfless duty and a steady symbol in a tumultuous time. She was always there, constant and unswerving. Her passing is the end of an era.

I'm going to miss her.

2 comments: